Monday, May 14, 2012

Sweaty Stinky Suessical Sensational Mother's Day Weekend

 Does anyone else have a dirty house and loads of stinky laundry and an empty fridge and sunscreen residue on the kiddos and bags under your eyes and sore feet that desperately need a pedicure?  Anyone?  Just me?  Proof that you didn't do any of the things that you *should* have done and instead only the things you *wanted* to do.  I seemed to have done none of the weekend chores and only busied myself with the fun stuff of this life!   Relaxation was not on the menu for this Mother's Day weekend, but that is totally okay with me.  I did get a nap on Saturday and Sunday, and that made all the running and stinking worth it.  

Friday night the girls took me to Suessical performed by Tigard High School.  It was awesome, amazing that this was a high school production, there was a lot of talent, and the show was great.  My friend's daughter was in the cast, so it was fun to watch her and I got a picture of Lily with her after the show.  My friend wasn't at the performance so she was thrilled to get a cute picture of our girls.  Several people commented on how well behaved my daughters were during the show (any mama knows this is a Mother's Day gift in and of itself! Who? My kids? Angels?  Obviously an indication of the kind of mother I am? Oh, go ON!).  And they were.  Lily even kept the talking and questions to a minimum.  It didn't get out until around 9:30, so they were beat.  Addie was too tired to get pictures with the cast, but Lily could have stayed an extra hour if I would have let her! 

Horton and Gertrude
Kangaroo and Monkeys
Lily and Blondie
Lily and the Who's

Proof that it wasn't the Lily show
Cat in the hat signing her program

Happy tired girls
  The next morning I was up bright and early to get everything ready for the AIM walk for Melanoma with my friend ShanRae, who drove into town from Bend.  Lily had a baseball game, so I took the two little ones and Lawrence and Lily went to her game.  We had to be out the door at 7:30am (or so I thought, turns out we were about an hour early).  So after water bottles and sunscreen and sun hats and stoller and booster seat and Ergo Carrier were loaded into the car, we woke up Addie and she was ready to go.  I thought she might need to get carried part of the 5K but not only did she walk the entire 3.14 miles, she ran most of it.  It was a great course through some beautiful SE Portland neighborhoods, and we had a great time.  ShanRae's mom and sister came from Joseph, so the 6 of us walked together and got to talk and catch up.  It was a small walk.  Which shows the need for more Melanoma awareness and fundraising, but it raised $12K, pretty good, especially for the size.  I'll do another post on Melanoma.  I was shocked as I learned even more about this terrible and fast growing disease, and how early prevention really is the ONLY remedy.  Either you get it at the source, or you die from it, essentially.  Once it spreads it is basically untreatable.  Which is why education is so important.  Why annual screenings and self checks are so important.   I was proud to walk next to my childhood best friend in her lavender survivor shirt.  I was proud of how she is turning this crappy experience into a positive, and I am so grateful that our path's and friendships have strengthened again through this so she was able to be such a support for me and the cancer that I had.  Listening to the Melanoma stories, I was so grateful that it was not the kind of skin cancer I had, and I realized once again, just how lucky I was.  I am.  After the race we had a nice lunch, the complimented my kids (who we playing with knives by the end of the meal - buying me a few more talking minutes with my friend) behavior.  Ha!  Again, go ON! :)   

Lily did great at her game on Saturday, then she and Lawrence went for a bike ride down to the water feature near New Seasons at the bottom of our hill.  I got home, and put all three of my crew promptly down for a nap.  Including myself.  Awwww yeah.  Addie didn't nap though, crazy girl who just ran 3 miles!  Lawrence ran out to get some steak for grilling, while I had a water balloon fight with my kids.  At the store, he saw our friends the Powers, who were also getting some grilling goods.  He came back with the whole crowd and we had an impromptu dinner with some of our favorite friends.  Yay.  Addie's meltdown came fast and furious an hour after bedtime, so that lead to the split of our dinner.  We were expecting it much earlier, late night last night, early morning today, no nap.  In true tired Addie form I laid down with her and she went from screaming bloodie murder to wimper to asleep in about 5 minutes.  I hate to see her like that, but when she is so tired, I love how it feels to easy that little sweetie to sleep in my arms.  

Not only do I get to be a mom to three wonderful kids, I got to learn how to be a loving mom from the very best!  Thanks Mom!!
Family photo

Addie and Daddy
Addie on the left
Lily (and my friend's son, Stuart) finishing strong

Addie at the finish

This was after 3 miles in the sun and my little people were cheering SO hard for me. So hard not to smile SO big!
Up and at 'em even earlier today.  The sun was shining, and we'd mostly planned ahead so getting out the door by 7 went by with out much frazzle on my part.  True accomplishment, I'll admit!  Lily's tummy was hurting so she was complaining a little, but we got down with only 15 minutes until her race, so she seemed to forget about it.  Lawrence ran with the girls for their one mile run, toward the back.  Lily started with them, but weaved her way closer to the front.  Overall she finished 8th and Addie finished 26th out of 64 total in the race.  They ran so fast and didn't walk at all, I was so proud of them.  Lily was 1st in her age division out of 14 and she was 2nd overall out of 36 girls.  Her time was 9:52.  Faster than I can do a mile! :)  Addie was 6/20 in her age division that went up to 6 year olds.  She ran her mile in 12:09, that's more my pace.  She was a little disappointed not to get a medal after getting one last year, but I reminded her that she ran FOUR miles this weekend, and that was farther than any FOUR year old I know. :)  I got my personal worst time for running a 5K but I could care less about that.  I got like 226th place or something awesome like that.  I didn't get a medal.  :)  I felt good (unlike my last 5K), ran the whole thing in the sunshine with beautiful music blasting in my headphones, I wasn't in it for the speed (says she who was not speedy).  

One tired Addie
One HAPPY Lily

I got some great Mother's Day gifts from the kids, including a World's Best Mom mug, a new camping chair, a frilly cute polka dot apron, a song written and performed by Lily, back up by Addie, a cook book from Addie made at school, a plate Lily made at school.  100 pieces of riff raff crafts with Lightning McQueen stamps and crayons and projects obviously colored by my nanny and popsicle sticks with balloon stickers on them and scribbles and  I also bought myself a new sun hat for the summer.  We took another awesome nap after a really yummy lunch, and then played outside, BBQed again, and just soaked in more time together.  The day ended, in true Mother (of-small-children)'s day form, 2/3 kids pooped their pants swimsuits while playing outside, and in even truer Mother's day form, daddy cleaned it up while I quickly bathed 3/3 kids.

Last night I was sweaty and stinky with dirty feet and dirty fingernails, my face and arms were sun-kissed - and I was layered with many applications of greasy sunscreen, my eyes and feet were so tired.  I did a quick surface level clean up, after all my parents-in-law were to arrive late night and there was STUFF everywhere, but it was no where near what it would have been if we didn't thoroughly enjoy every minute of the weekend.
I showered and fell into bed on the sheets that I meant to change today.  I was asleep in just a few minutes, but the mess and the long to do list left untouched reminded me that without a shadow of a doubt, we did this Mother's day riiii....

(fell asleep before I could finish the though, even further proof that is was true)


  1. Wow, what a weekend!! I'm amazed that you could post it all and get the photos up and everything. You'll be so glad you did when you're looking back at this time in your life.

  2. This definitely a Mother's Day (weekend) to remember and cherish forever! By the way, am loving my wonderful Mother's Day cup almost every day and looking forward to using my tent for the first time. I'm so, so lucky to be your mother (and grandma of three of the most special kids in the world!)