Saturday, January 9, 2010

On Finding the Time






Like most mama bloggers who don't get paid for it, I'm constantly getting asked, "how do you find the time?" usually by people who don't blog.

People who do blog get how you fit it in, the importance of it.

I'm actually not sure how I find the time, I just do. I don't really see that other things get cut out of my life. I do it in the evening while watching TV, I do it during my lunch break at work. And now, I don't really know when I do it. Sometimes one sentence at a time - 3 minutes at a time, taking a whole day. At first I used to like to wait to post things until things are perfect, pictures and collages just right, but life moves too fast, and if I don't blog it now, then it's gone. We are already on to the next thing. So I don't spell check, I don't usually grammar check and I don't reread my blogs until later.

I also don't play mafia wars or farm town or on FaceBook. heh.

Not that I haven't wasted a fair share of my life away on FaceBook, believe you me. I'm just staying FAR from those addictive games!

But I guess the answer is, we all have our time wasters, some things are guilty pleasures, some things are the most important must dos. So sometimes blogging is treated kind of like a guilty pleasure, another time it might be something that I do while I let my kids watch some Clifford, and another time it might mean that the dishes in my sink stay there for the night.

But I am so glad I do it. I can't tell you how many times I've read back over my blog, my babysites, or my musings, thinking, "I do not remember that, even a little." And I'm glad it's written down somewhere.

Including things from less than a month ago.

I couldn't remember anything that happened from the time I brought Bryson home from the hospital until his circumcision, it's just all a blur. Eight days of life. While it's easy to understand how one loses THOSE eight days simply because it is exhausting and overwhelming and painful, I still wondered where that time went. And then I read my blog from those days. Do I remember what else suffered on the days I took time for those blogs to be written? Nope. Should I have probably been doing something else, if not sleeping? Yep. But I'm glad that I find a few minutes during some days to write about our life. Because if I didn't there are so many little things that are lost in time and busy. And a lot of times its some of the good stuff.

Of course it's also a good way to keep every one else updated and in some ways it saves time, especially at a time of your life like this, where hours are odd and time is precious, not to answer each and every call and email that says, "how are things going?". It is a good way to update family across the country and friends down the street. It's a good way to make new friends or relate to people like you. I started blogging for some reasons and they've changed into other reasons. Other people who blog regularly really understand this.

The truth is we all find time for the things we want to do, and if that time was tallied up and someone else could see it we would all wonder how we found the time for that. We just do. And for me, blogging isn't just bloggging, it's telling the story of my family and of myself. The good, the bad, and the...mm...poopy.

But instead of spending more time telilng you about why I blog, I'm done for the day and now I must nap...

Here is a quote I found that I like a lot:

"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley

2 comments:

  1. I for one am awfully glad you blog. It's helped more than you know to see someone just a little further down the motherhood road so I can have ideas what to expect. And it got me started writing again, too, so well-done!

    Love your prolific posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog too. It gives me a little peek into another family to see what trials they are facing, what joys they are experiencing. It's a little voyeuristic I suppose, but to me it's more real than television. I also think that I benefit from reading the life experiences of others. I've learned new ways to cope, taken ideas on how to have fun with my daughters, shared ideas of my own. Hurray for blogging!!! I'm so glad you find time....BTW, your pictures are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete