Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Romp to Stomp



My friend Jeanine came this weekend and we did the Romp to Stomp out Breast Cancer 5K walk, along with Lawrence. My mom was here so she kept the kids for the day. It was on Mt Hood and with snowshoes. It was amazing. To see ALL the photos in the snapfish album, click HERE. Below are some of my favorites.








Again I was reminded during this walk to be grateful for being able to walk. 4 months ago I couldn't walk from the top of the stairs to my bed, and here I was in one of the most beautiful places on earth, on a sunny and cold day, walking in snow shoes up the side of a mountain. Pretty amazing.

This was a walk to benefit breast cancer and Susan B. Komen. I also could not stop thinking about my friend Julie. She is half way through with her second battle with breast cancer. As I was half way through my walk, I felt like quitting, my foot was sore, I was sweaty, tired, my hip flexers were on fire...and I thought of Julie nauseated in her recliner at home...she'd give anything to feel good enough to do this walk and only to worry about sore hip flexers and a blister on her heal rather than the pain in her bones caused by chemo treatments. After having two children and breast feeding them, well, let's face it, the girls aren't what they used to be. But as I "romped" along with breast cancer survivors and their loved ones I thought about how lucky I am to have healthy tissue in my breasts, my functional breasts that fed my babies, my cancer-free breasts. Breast cancer has touched many I care about, Robin (her mom), Kandie, Julie, Debby, just to name a few. It was a beautiful day, and a wonderful cause, and once again I soaked in the moments of the blessings of my life, stomping along with the love of my life and one of my greatest friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment