Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Karate Kid

Last summer I bought a deal on Plum District for 2 weeks of Karate classes at a little family Martial Arts studio down the hill from our house.  You could walk there.  It expired in January and so we called to use our classes.  I bought 2 deals, one for Addie, one for Lawrence.  We thought it would be neat for Addie to have something just for her.


We were disappointed to learn that the studio had been purchased by a much larger center about 30 minutes from our house, right across the street from Lawrence's office.  We decided to bite the bullet and sign Addie up for 2 weeks of class.  We could do that drive for a few classes.  Except SHE. LOVES. IT.  The owners are excellent and they traded in our 2 two week sessions for 2 MONTHS of classes all for Addie.  Then when my mom bought her a Gi, she got 2 more weeks.  So 2.5 months later we are still doing Karate at an inconvenient location, but it has been so so good for our middlest, littlest, girl.


The first day she was so timid.  But by the end of the first week, she had found something that was incredible for her.  It is Addie's first thing that is just for her and all about her.  She is so disciplined and tries harder than any other kid out there.  I'm so proud of the way she has owned this.  I love how she is learning about respect, focus, and confidence.





She was easier to spot before she got her Gi (thanks Grandma Lanie!)






I love my little Karate kid.  Now if I can just figure out how to fit it in with Baseball.  Letting them each have their own thing sounds good in theory, but it might just take a small miracle to make it happen year round.  Karate "season" may be almost over until Baseball season is out in June.  

No comments:

Post a Comment