Monday, June 28, 2010

I shall not be over flowed

I was trying to decide which verse I'd memorize this week.

By the way, I DID memorize the one from last week, successfully. Go me, it was like 15 words! I did NOT eat any candy for doing so, but made up for it by snarfing 3 of Addie's bday cupcakes last night after dinner. Those go good with the non-shredding I've been up to. Grrr. Time, time?? Where are you? I need you! Please come back! Thank you to a few of you who shared some of your favorite memorized verses last week. Please...Share!! Share!!

A friend of mine shared a verse that she'd memorized and repeated to help her through a rocky time in her marriage. While I'm thankful that I'm not in a rocky place in my marriage, it spoke to me. I've been thinking about it since she said it aloud to me, but I didn't know it well enough to recite it. What resonated about it was the image of not being overflowed. (I doubt overflowed is a word, but what should it be instead, overflew?) I decided to memorize it next so I did know it well enough to "use" it.

I often use the term drowning when describing how I feel when I feel overwhelmed. I feel the image of being washed over by a huge wave, and no matter how hard I try I'm not powerful enough to say standing it. I sometimes feel like I'm sinking. I know the term drowning shouldn't be used lightly. When I'm feeling like this, it helps me to remember, I don't have to keep myself afloat. I don't have to be powerful to stay standing.

The wonderful events of the weekend were many, and we had a full full full weekend. Friday I took Sabine to the Jewel concert at the Oregon Zoo as her belated birthday present, then Saturday Lawrence took Lily and Addie to the Tigard Balloon Festival at 5:30am, then I had a baby shower for Nichole at Mother's, then we went to West Linn to play in the sprinklers at the park before going to a Going Away party for Jeremy and Jennifer, Sunday Lily and I ran errands all morning for Addie's party and Lawrence and Addie make cupcakes. We had a 3rd bday party with 22! people at our house, 3 families + another AuPair and little boy. It's hard to believe my little Addie is almost three. This morning the girls started a VBS camp at Lily's school (the girls were so sweet at drop off - it deserves a blog of it's own, I literally love them to tears!). We are preparing for an upcoming 6hr+ trip accross the state to see my mom and a lot of friends. Life it so good and so full. I wish there were less worries and more time. I wish I could always remember the goodness and not sweat the small stuff. I wish I could love quicker and be slower to anger. But in the mean time, while I'm OF COURSE working feverishly at all these things, I will memorize a few more divine Words to help me through my moments of "drowning".

When you pass through the water, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. Isaiah 43:2

No comments:

Post a Comment