Thursday, July 9, 2009

The perfect and unconventional gift









My mom asked me what she could get Addie for her birthday. I could not think of anything. ANYTHING. We do not need more toys. I mean we thought of a few little things that she would love, but nothing big. Except a bike.

The problem is we have a PERFECT trike for her, that is still Lily's. It is a Radio Flyer in great shape and it has a handle to push and steer when needed which is perfect for coming back up our steep hills. Lawrence's parents got it for Lily when Addie was born and while Lily still rides it, she has FAR outgrown it. I know, I know, I'm a crappy mom for not getting her a new bike a while ago. I've been looking on Craigslist because a new one wasn't in the budget, but with my broken foot and the winter, I just never got to it. Her birthday is the perfect time of year NOT to get a bike in Portland. Still with a coordinated and muscular girl like herself, 4.5+ is much to late to still be riding a miniture trike...most of her friends are starting to get their training wheels off. Sigh. I'm trying...

So I said to my mom that the perfect gift for Addie's bday would be to get Lily a new bike. I know it is unconventional and Addie will probably hate it some day when she hears the story. But we brought Lily's old bike to Joseph, we got Addie a Helmet (me oh my finding a helmet that fit her 5 percentile head!), and we had a bike unveiling for them both.

It. Was. Perfect.

Both girls loved their "New" bikes so much. And eventually Addie will get this bike from Lily, when she gets bigger, but for now, they both have a bike that works. YAY. I realize this is the last year we will be able to pass off one of Lily's old things as Addie's new thing. So we made the most of it.

Thanks mom for going along with the suggestion, I know it is not your style...but it is what we needed and as far as Addie knows she finally got a bike, and wouldn't you know it, it is the one she has been eying and dying to ride each time her sister is on it. Perfect. Just Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect "fit" to me! Everyone's gotta have a bike. What a good Grandma for listening and taking "Mom's" advice on a gift.

    ReplyDelete